Topic outline

  • News & Policy Updates

    • Stay up to date on the latest news related to immigration in the U.S.

      Have you read a news article on U.S. immigration not listed here? Feel free to add it to the list!

    • Higher Ed Immigration Portal - A new digital platform that integrates data, policies, and resources about DACA and undocumented, other immigrant, international, and refugee students to support immigration reform and federal policymaking, fuel change at the state and campus level, and build a diverse movement of partners and stakeholders advocating for these students.

    • The State Legislative Tracker monitors pending state legislation related to driver’s license, in-state tuition, state financial aid and professional licensure. This tool tracks current proposed policies that directly impact the following populations: DACA, Undocumented, TPS, Refugees and Asylum Seekers.

    • Effective Oct. 31, 2022, we will accept and process renewal DACA requests and accompanying requests for employment authorization under the final rule, consistent with court orders and an ongoing partial stay. We will also continue to accept and process applications for advance parole for current DACA recipients, and we will continue to accept but not process initial DACA requests. DHS is currently prohibited from granting initial DACA requests and related employment authorization under the final rule due to the Oct. 14, 2022 order issued by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, which extended its injunction and partial stay to the DACA final rule. - USCIS

      For the latest information, check out U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services webpage.

    • The Secretary of Homeland Security may designate a foreign country for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) due to conditions in the country that temporarily prevent the country's nationals from returning safely, or in certain circumstances, where the country is unable to handle the return of its nationals adequately. USCIS may grant TPS to eligible nationals of certain countries (or parts of countries), who are already in the United States. Eligible individuals without nationality who last resided in the designated country may also be granted TPS. - USCIS

      For a list of countries that qualify and updates to the latest information, check out U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services webpage.

    • The CUNY-Initiative on Immigration and Education (CUNY-IIE) recently created a new resource for immigrant communities and educators. The FAQ on Immigration and Education lists commonly asked questions and answers that impact immigrant students and families in New York State, as well as the PK-12 and higher education educators and community members who support and serve them.

      This also lists helpful information for individuals interested in becoming a Teacher in New York

  • Health & Social Services

    • The resources stored within this database provide information to services related to the following,

      • Case Management Resource Guide - Contains details on crisis and mental health resources, guide on how to find an off-campus provider, guide on how to receive accommodations and how to submit claims to insurance companies
      • Local Urgent Care Centers - Hospitals and clinics near Bryn Mawr College
      • Local Pharmacies - Pharmacies near Bryn Mawr College
      • Affinity Based Mental Health Resources - Mental Health resources for BIPOC, LGBTQ+ and more
      • Local COVID-19 Testing Sites - Locations near Bryn Mawr College that offer COVID-19 Testing

      Important Notes:

      • Students who opt into Bryn Mawr College's Health Insurance Plan may consult with the providers listed whether they accept Bryn Mawr's insurance.
      • Bryn Mawr College does not endorse any specific agencies.

    • The resources stored within this database provide information to services related to the following,

      • Crisis & Help Lines - National hotlines to call when experiencing an emergency
      • Emergency Rooms & Urgent Care - Hospitals and clinics near Haverford College including locations that offer sliding fee scales
      • Counseling Clinics Evaluation & Assessments - Testing locations that offer lower fees and/or sliding fee scales
      • Mental Health Services - Practices near Haverford College that offer therapy
      • Psychoeducational, ADHD, and Neuropsychological Testing Resources in Haverford and the greater Philadelphia Area
      • Psychiatrists Services - Practices near Haverford College that offer psychiatric services

      Important Notes:

      • Students who opt into Haverford College's Health Insurance Plan may consult with the providers listed whether they accept Haverford's insurance.
      • Haverford College does not endorse any specific agencies.

    • A compilation of resources on what is mental health and services that are currently available to undocumented individuals across the U.S.

    • Free & Charitable Clinics are safety-net health care organizations that utilize a volunteer/staff model to provide a range of health services. Visit Free Clinic Association of Pennsylvania to find free or charitable health clinics in your area.

    • A compilation of clinic services available at a free or reduced-fee for undocumented individuals across the U.S. by My Undocumented Life.

    • Compiled by My Undocumented Life, the following is a list of organizations and locations that offer free or reduced-fees for health, legal and social services for undocumented individuals residing in Texas, U.S.

    • For over 30 years, CareCredit has been providing a valuable financing option for treatments and procedures that typically are not covered by insurance, or for times when insurance doesn't cover the full amount. CareCredit is a credit card that is also used by cardholders to pay for deductibles and co-payments. Individuals may use their ITIN instead of an SSN to see if they prequalify for CareCredit credit card.

    • Resource for Latinx, Hispanic undocu+ students who are looking for support systems, legal aid, or community. In the Unidos affiliates section, it notes there are 12 affiliates in PA, 5 located in Philadelphia.

    • Offers free individual and group therapy as well as case management to immigrants in the Philadelphia area.

  • Traveling in the U.S.

    • Current DACA recipients are eligible to apply for a travel permit called Advance Parole, which allows them to travel outside of the United States and then lawfully re-enter. This webinar provides an overview of the requirements of advance parole for DACA recipients and what type of travel is covered by advance parole, highlights various factors to consider before traveling outside the United States, and tips to consider when traveling. This webinar also provides information on traveling domestically as an undocumented person. Watch webinar here!

    • Traveling in the U.S. can be a complicated and stressful process for anyone—even more so if you’re undocumented! But it doesn’t have to be complicated. If you’re thinking of traveling as an undocumented person (with or without DACA) and are curious about how to travel safely, read on. Safe travels, undocu-travelers!

      Note: This document is not intended to serve as legal advice and is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney.

      This document was put together by Immigrants Rising

  • Know Your Rights

  • Immigration Lawyer Resources

    • Informed Immigrant - Whether you are looking for a lawyer to begin an immigration process or in need of a legal screening, choosing the right lawyer is crucial. This guide contains information on how to find an immigration lawyer, how to prepare to meet with a lawyer, how to avoid fraud, and more.

    • The American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) is a professional association whose members are individual lawyers. This site and the information on it should only be used for finding an immigration attorney for legal help.

    • Prepared by Juntos, a community-led, Latinx immigrant organization in South Philadelphia fighting for our human rights as workers, parents, youth, and immigrants.

    • This resource is specifically for undocu+ students under the age 21 that have been abused, neglected, or abandoned by one or both parents.

    • High-Quality and confidential immigration law services to help you and your family on your path to U.S. citizenship. Our attorneys and paralegals will assess your eligibility for legal benefits and help you apply if you qualify.

      We provide free consultations and application assistance for:

      • Naturalization
      • Certificates of citizenship
      • Renewal and replacement of immigration documents
      • Full and partial fee waivers requests
      • Family-based petitions
      • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
      • Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
      • Freedom of Information/Privacy Act Request (FOIA)
      • Adjustment of status
      • Consular processing

      Call us to make an appointment. All our services are free and open to all New Yorkers.

  • DACA Renewal & Resources

    • Super simple resource on how to renew DACA status. This short 11 minute video is helpful in going through the application. Spanish videos are available as well.

    • This PDF covers the following,

      1. When should DACA recipients renew their DACA in light of a potential negative decision by the Supreme Court?
      2. What will happen to pending applications if the Supreme Court issues a negative decision?
      3. What other employment options will DACA recipients have if their DACA expires or is terminated?
      4. What impact will the end of DACA have on access to in-state tuition, financial aid, and scholarships?
      5. What does the forthcoming nationwide implementation of REAL ID mean for a DACA recipient’s ability to obtain identification and driver’s licenses?

    • has very simple and updated information on immigrant’s rights. The site gives a quick overview on how DACA students (and DACA students ONLY) can travel abroad through Advance Parole. It also talks about the potential risks.

    • The Higher Ed Immigration Portal also has extensive information on DACA and undocumented students’ available paths and rights. This site has collected the necessary information for DACA students to travel outside the state and study abroad. It also has a well organized powerpoint on the topic of Advanced Parole for DACA recipients

  • TPS Renewal & Resources

    • This guide provides helpful information on how and when to re-register for TPS.

    • USCIS is no longer using advance parole as the travel mechanism for TPS recipients.5 Under the new policy, USCIS has started issuing a new travel authorization document on Form I-512T that is unique to TPS holders. But note that individuals with pending initial applications for TPS, however, can continue to apply for travel permission through advance parole and are issued a Form I-512L. In either situation, individuals seeking travel permission through TPS still apply on Form I-131. 

    • Informed Immigrant has developed a resource article on the following,

      1. Table listing TPS designated countries and open registration periods
      2. TPS Litigation and Developments
      3. TPS Registration and Work Authorization Guide
      4. TPS Expiration FAQs
      5. Travel Policy and FAQs
      6. Additional Resources

    • On September 20, 2023, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced an 18-month extension of Venezuela’s Temporary Protected Status (TPS) designation made in 2021 and announced a new designation that would protect more Venezuelan individuals who lack immigration relief and, due to extraordinary and temporary conditions, are unable to safely return to Venezuela. Find necessary information on both TPS designations for Venezuela here.

  • Undergraduate Academic Opportunities

    • This guide primarily offers guidelines and suggestions for college and university administrators who wish to establish and implement funding and experiential opportunities for undocumented undergraduate and graduate students. However, this information can be useful for students to understand the policies impacting funding opportunities, what options are available for one to pursue and what opportunities include tax reporting requirements.

    • This link details non-employment based opportunities, using examples and providing resources. The most important point is that the fellowship or internship opportunity cannot be an employment relationship.

      “To receive an internship stipend or a living stipend, the internship must focus on training, should incorporate a learning component, and may in no way constitute an employment relationship.”

    • The Breaking Barriers program and the Career and Civic Engagement Center at Bryn Mawr, have compiled a list of academic internships, scholarships and fellowships for undocumented, first-generation and low-income students.

    • This organization offers internship opportunities to Undocu+ students. However, for Undocu+ students to work, they need an Individual Tax ID Number ITIN

    • The mission of REU Finder is to provide an easy way for ALL STEM students to access opportunities and to support individuals, organizations and mentors committed to promoting equity in STEM fields.

    • IBP's database includes 1200 programs in a variety of disciplines and education levels (most are related to STEM).

    • The First Generation Civil Rights Fellowship Program, or FirstGEN, is a paid summer program for undergraduate students who are the first in their immediate families to attend college and who intend to pursue careers in social justice and law.

  • Graduate & Professional School Resources

    • Undocumented students have always had limited access to scholarships and aid resulting in many students competing for the same few scholarships. Submitting scholarship applications can be a time-consuming and taxing process, which is why, in addition to having more scholarships accessible to undocumented students, transparent language around scholarship eligibility is hugely important.

      When seeking to expand the accessibility of scholarships at your institution or in your community, your first step may be to connect with scholarship administrators. Asking clarifying questions to understand why undocumented students might be excluded and if that can be changed will help you understand what next steps you should take. This resource provides some best practices for this outreach and email templates you can use.

    • Created by First Gen Empower, this webinar goes over the following information related to Graduate/Professional Schools,

      • Academic vs. Professional
      • Masters
      • Doctorates
      • Application Requirements
      • Panel
      • Q&A
      • Survey

    • Created by Presidents' Alliance on Higher Education and Immigration. This hub is meant to be a compilation and centralization of graduate and professional school resources for students and institutions. You can find resources to help undocumented individuals interested in learning more about how to apply to graduate school, find funding, and institutional specific supports. The hub also focus on holistic supports such as social media pages, mental health resources, educational podcasts, and more. Lastly, in this hub you can find some data and research that has been done on and for graduate students.

      The information and guidance provided in this handbook do not and are not intended to, constitute legal  or career advice; instead, they are for general informational purposes only.

    • This handout goes over the following information,

      • How to determine whether or not to pursue a graduate degree
      • Discuss financial planning by understanding the fees and expenses when applying
      • How to get started and navigating the grad school search process
      • Financial Planning if you plan to live off campus as well as budgeting
      • Resources available for graduate school

  • Living on Your Own

  • Searching & Finding Job Openings

  • Interview & Elevator Pitch Preparation

  • Entrepreneurship 101

    • Learn how to get started with entrepreneurship. The webinar will provide a hands-on approach to turn your specific skills, experience and knowledge into opportunities to generate income.

    • The Welcoming Center is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization based in Philadelphia that promotes inclusive economic growth through immigrant integration. Founded in 2003, TWC works to open doors of economic opportunity for immigrants of all education and skill levels and build immigrants’ individual and collective agency to address barriers to integration and wellbeing.

      Business Training Program

      Our Business Training Program, in partnership with the Neighborhood Development Center, assists start-up and new businesses obtain business training, financing, and other support within their own communities. The training is a once a week for twelve weeks.

      Business Technical Assistance

      Business experts are available to support entrepreneurs through the process of establishing or expanding a business. Our hands-on assistance helps business owners to understand city regulations, develop a business plan, understand business operations, identify capital, create a marketing strategy, and much more.

      Small Business Workshops

      We offer workshops for entrepreneurs throughout the year. Check back for information about upcoming workshops.

  • Setting Up Your Business Structure

  • What Can ITIN Do Besides Filing Taxes?

    • The informational webinar shares why the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires specific individuals to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number, especially for those not eligible to obtain a social security number. The panelist also shares the process for obtaining Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) and some benefits. Additionally, our guest panelist discussed how ITINs are issued regardless of one's immigration status.

    • For more information about the ITIN, please visit the National Immigration Law Center (resources are available in Spanish)

    • This handout clarifies the role of ITIN, answers few frequently asked questions related to ITIN, and lists resources that people can access to get more in-depth information on ITIN and EIN.

    • Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITC) assist low income individuals who have a tax dispute with the IRS, and provide education and outreach to individuals who speak English as a second language (ESL).

      LITCs are independent from the IRS and the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS). LITCs represent individuals whose income is below a certain level and who need to resolve tax problems with the IRS. LITCs can represent taxpayers in audits, appeals, and tax collection disputes before the IRS and in court. LITCs can also help taxpayers respond to IRS notices and correct account problems. In addition, LITCs can provide information about taxpayer rights and responsibilities in different languages for individuals who speak English as a second language. Services are offered for free or a small fee.

  • Understanding & Applying for EIN

    • This video provides a basic summary of what you need to know about successfully operating your business as well as provide you with some of the resources for additional information. Moreover, the IRS explains the purpose of the employer identification number, describes basic record keeping requirements for tax purposes, defines basic bookkeeping and accounting methods, explains the forms of business organizations, and finally, suggests how to select the paid tax preparer.

    • Considering applying for an Employer Identification Number (EIN)? A copy of the application form, instructions and a guide are available in this folder.

  • Self-Employment 101

  • State Policies on Self-Employment

    • The State Policy Guide covers the information listed below. Interested in learning more about conducting business in a certain state? Click on the appropriate State file!

      1. What are the requirements of operating your business as a sole proprietorship?

      2. Is there a guide/checklist provided by the state on how to start a business in the state?

      3. Do I need to register my business through a state agency?

      4. Is there a fee associated with any forms I need to complete?

      5. Does the state offer information and/or webinars on starting/managing a business?

      6. Does the state offer financial assistance on starting a business? Is an SSN required?

      7. What tax forms do I need to file for my business on the state level? Do I need to file taxes with the city I am doing business in?

  • Worker Cooperatives & LLCs